Sunday, July 22, 2012

Wk. 3 Reading Post

This week's reading revolved around concepts that, if I master them, I will be the greatest teacher in the world.  So, I am trying.  Sure, sometimes I fail, but I don't take myself too seriously when I do.  That Rule #6 is the best advice anyone could ever give anyone, especially a teacher, and especially someone who teaches adolescent boys in a detention facility.  These boys notice everything.  If you have a bad hair day, they will tell you just how bad your hair looks.  If you wear jeans that make you look fat...well, you get the point.  Not taking myself too seriously has been most relaxing.  Now when one of my filterless students points out something negative about me, I just say, "I'll take your opinion into consideration," and move on.  Usually they just do it for attention anyway, not to actually hurt my feelings.  So this tactic works.  Thanks, Mr. Zander!

The second concept that resonated with me was that of the "silent conductor."  I think this is the perfect metaphor for a well-run classroom.  The teacher should not be the talking head in the front of the class.  This is useless and meaningless, not to mention boring.  My students would fall asleep if all I did was present to them.  For me, the vision of a teacher facilitating action from her students is the most effective way to conduct learning (pun intended).  I go back to work tomorrow after a whole week off (my site goes year round, so I work all summer with periodic, optional breaks), and I am going to keep this vision in my head all day to remind me that I am not supposed to be the one making all the noise.  I do not have to be noisy all day to facilitate meaningful learning.  I am going to keep track of who makes the most (relevant) noise tomorrow. 

Third, the idea of turning buts into ands was very enlightening.  I took this section to mean that instead of saying no, or being negative, or overlooking a chance to do something great, I should redirect myself, opening up to new discoveries.  I also took this to mean take teachable moments where you can get them, even if you are in an unconventional place.  I have to remember that I am not just a teacher in the confines of my classroom, but everywhere I go.  This does not mean that I butt in and give unsolicited lessons to strangers.  It means I am there to listen, console, help, educate, and be kind to people wherever I am.  I think this last idea will help make me a more compassionate and caring person as well as a better teacher. 


1 comment:

  1. Excellent reflection on the reading and the points that mean something to you. Redirection, especially with students who are so used to the system putting them down, wow, what an opportunity to turn things around. I worked in a gang-area in LA and I saw their stubbornness as a strength that shouldn't be broken but redirected. So important.

    ReplyDelete